Saturday, August 4, 2007

The Day Before Atonement

The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur) falls on the tenth day of the Jewish New Year,
in the Hebrew month Tishrei, usually in the month September or October.
You can read about it in Leviticus 16.

On this day, many Jews fast and ask forgiveness for their sins of the past year to God and their fellow men. In doing so, they hope to get a good “signature” in God’s book of Life. They literally ask for mercy on that day.

As soon as the Jewish New Year starts, people wish each other “a good signature” and “an easy fast”.
What makes this day so special is there is no radio or TV, the restaurants, shops and cinemas are closed and traffic comes to a standstill. Outside it is quiet, but the synagogues are full.
Children are allowed to play and make use of the quiet streets.

After Yom Kippur people begin to prepare for the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot), which lasts for seven days. Religious Jews live in a sukka (booth) built on the balcony, in their garden, or on the pavement. The simple structure (usually made of wood) is covered with branches, in order to be able to see the stars at night. Through it they remember the time they lived in the desert, after the Exodus from Egypt.

Sukkot is a pilgrim’s Feast in which many Jews, like in the days of old, go up to Jerusalem. It’s also a future Feast - the day Messiah comes, there shall be peace and joy.
Thousands of Christians who love Israel and the Jewish people, also come “up to Jerusalem” around this time to celebrate the Feast of Tabernacles.
For me at the Christians Embassy in Jerusalem, it’s the busiest time of the year, because we host an international Congress during this time, as a foretaste of what’s to come in Zachariah 14.

But back to the day before Atonement (Yom Kippur).
My wife and I ordered a Hyundai 100 mini-van, suitable to transport our special needs children, including their wheelchairs.
The day before Yom Kippur the car arrived, which I had to pick up at the car dealer. I was in the middle of preparations for the congress, so it was a hectic time. While driving the brand new car to another place where they had to install the car alarm, my cell phone rang. Automatically I answered the phone and didn’t see the policemen on the other side of the road.
They motioned me to stop on the side of the road.

I barely had driven a mile before I already got a ticket. A huge one too, for it’s forbidden to drive while talking on the phone. 700 shekels (about $150), and 6 minus points on my driving license. I felt so utterly stupid!

I pleaded and tried, but whatever I did, nothing worked – the policeman walked to their car to issue the ticket.
A man who had seen it happening, approached me,
“You must try again, talk to them, otherwise you’re stuck with this huge ticket,” he advised.
“I already tried,” I told him.

But I took his advice and while I walked up to the policeman, an idea popped in my mind,
“Tomorrow is Yom Kippur, the day of Atonement. Please, have mercy on me!”

To my utter amazement, they gave me a ticket, but one for driving with one hand, which only cost me 40 shekel ($10).
Speaking about grace and mercy!

I never forgot this day and learned an important lesson:
It’s not only forbidden to drive and use the cell phone, it’s also dangerous for yourself and others if you don’t concentrate while driving.
The incident surely served as a warning for me.

So from now on, I try to keep this verse in mind:

“Blessed is the man who doesn’t drive like the lawless with their cell phone in their hands…” Psalm 1, free version (from me)

No comments: